Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year, New Projects

I finished the tangerine scarf! Hooray! Just in time to start a new project for the new year. I have some red and black self-striping yarn I started with a while back, but I wound up ripping it apart in order to use a larger needle size. The other scarves I've done have either been garter stitch (all knitting) or stockinette stitch (a row of knitting followed by a row of purling). This time I'm using a double rib stitch, meaning every row will be k2, p2. Another difference will be needle size. My quick-to-make scarf is on a size 15 needle. This one will be a 10 1/2. The yarn is textured, but it's not as bulky as the boucle' yarn I've used before, so I have no idea how long to expect this one to take, but it'll be fun to see how it comes together.


Oh! And here's a picture of my uber-long scarf that I made last year. Becca likes it so much she wants me to make one for her. She's going to go pick out her yarn and this will give me a quick project to work on when I need a break from the smaller needles and slower progress of the red and black scarf.

I used Homespun yarn and size 19 needles! They're HUGE and make these humongous stitches! It's a real loosey-goosey finished product.

There are two different yarns: the solid purple and the variegated beige, cream, lavender. They look really cool together. (The rows are straight, just not in this picture, LOL.) On cold days, I love being able to wrap it up over my head and around my neck and still have it hang down low underneath my coat.

When I started knitting there were a few days I wanted to just put it up and never do it again because I just couldn't get it. Remembering that frustration makes it all the more satisfying to say, "Yes, I made it!" when I wear this scarf. Hang in there!

5 comments:

Mom of these kids said...

That last paragraph describes me to a T! And I am ready to make me a scarf....but I can't get past the frustration. I just can't work with the pretty yarn yet! Plus, I am so used to crocheting, I keep wanting to use a HOOK to pull my thread through!

Lawrence Underwood said...

Cool!

Want to know something strange? I took up knitting about two months ago! Amy Jo wanted to learn to knit, so I agreed to teach her the basics that I remembered from Momma teaching me. I got hooked. I'm being mentored by a wonderful lady I've met reenacting. She spins, dyes (using 18th and 19th century techniques, weaves, and knits.

Right now I'm working on a sock using a pattern from the War Between the States.

I'm working on wood #3DP. Addictive.

Lisa said...

Hey y'all -- In case you don't know, Lawrence is my brother and Amy Jo is my niece! Looks like knitting might be in our genes!

Mom of these kids said...

O.K....I want Lawrence to do a post about his and Amy Jo's knitting! Seriously!

Susan J said...

I wouldn't be brave enough for socks but booties... I'd like to know how to knit me some booties!!