Monday, December 31, 2007

Knitting and Maury

Last week, with some of my Christmas money, I purchased my first knitting needles and a book to learn to knit in one day. I did....but that is about as far as I have gotten. I know that I am making my loops too tight, and I just can't seem to do it any differently. I started over several times, but just keep having it too tight. Which I can see, really slows down the process.
I want to learn how to knit b/c it is a challenge to me. My grandmother and mom can both crochet, but cannot knit. So it does challenge me to see if I can be the first in my family to learn to knit. My mother tried to teach me to crochet a few times, but she and I are both ambedextrious, only we are exact opposite with what we do with each hand, so we cannot get our brains or hands in sync with each other. When I was working at the nursing home, I was fascinated watching the ladies crochet, and at the time I was interested in cross stitching. I had several ladies tell me that they used to cross stitch, but weren't able to see or use their hands to do that, so they picked up crocheting. I have to always have something to do when I am sitting down, so I decided I had better teach myself how to crochet. So, I got a book and after a few tries figured it out. I have made a couple of afghans and many doilies over the years and have really enjoyed it.
So, now I have moved on to knitting. I see that it is a real challenge to coordinate both my hands to do different things at the same time. I was literally sore the next morning in my arms, neck, and shoulders after being so tense in learning to knit.....and I am sure that is why my stitches were so tight. I would love some advice/suggestions on how to keep it looser.


This is what I have gotten so far. a knit stitch and a purl stitch....I THINK!?!?

I bought this yarn on sale for $1 at Michael's and I LOVE it, but got frustrated trying to knit with it, and have now moved on to crocheting with it, and am just about to get frustrated with that as well!
I found both of these on sale at Hobby Lobby....the pink one (was $1) is for Rachel, and the purple ($2) is for Leah, I am wanting to knit them scarves.....I started with the purple but am really having troubles b/c it the thread keeps trying to seperate.



2 comments:

Lisa said...

If it helps any, I still have to remind myself keep things loose. I hope that's not an indicator of an uptight personality. :-)

The loopy yarns are a little harder to work with, but using them did help me learn to keep things looser. I had to because if I didn't, I wound up splitting the yarn.

Are we still on for Friday and Suzanne? If so, bring your knitting! That would be fun. Oh -- and I can't crochet. I have a couple of different "teach yourself to" books, but I just don't get what they're doing.

Hope to see you soon!

Susan J said...

Eyelash is one of the hardest yarns to knit with. Believe it or not, I knitted a prayer shawl to celebrate a wedding with nothing but white eyelash. It was a pain and a half...